Thursday, January 15, 2009

War Ration Book







In January 1940, food ration books were issued is the United States. In some areas of the country the rationing did not end until August of 1945 with sugar rationing lasting well into 1947 in some parts of the country. My mother had always told me about rationing and how the hardest part for her ws not being able to purchase silk stockings. For me it would have been the food LOL. A few years ago I was browsing an antique shop in Georgetown, Texas and found this Ration Book. It is Book Four, which was the last one issued. With each book came different restrictions. I had to buy this since it was only a couple of dollars and I thought how neat it would be for my children and grandchildren to be able to see. This particular book belonged to a woman in Houston and still had many unused stamps inside. Now 'm on a mission to find Books one, two and three. Read the IMPORTANT note on the back of the book. Recycling is not a new idea!






No comments:

Post a Comment